Monday, January 13, 2014

New Life Resolutions

Usually around New Year's, I spend some time reflecting on my past and what I've accomplished with 365 days.  I've also been given another 365 more to fill, hopefully with many wonderful things.  I've decided that one of those wonderful things shall be actual scripture study.  Old fashioned scripture reading is great!  Love it.  But scripture study is where it's at.  I certainly still need to work on that, but this being the case, I want to continue learning about the New Testament this semester, beginning with the book of Acts.
Let's start at the very beginning.  A very good place to start, yes?  In Acts 1:1, Luke addresses this book to Theophilus.  While he was likely a real person, here's a fun fact for you.  "Theo" means God, and "philus" means lover or friend.  So, the name Theophilus is translated as Lover or Friend of God. I like to think of my Heavenly Father as one of my closest friends, and I hope you feel the same.  So really, this book was written to you and me!  Cool, right?
I suppose the next reasonable question would be why this book was written.  Cue verses three and eight.  Using the "infallible proofs" (v. 3) that Christ gave, the book of Acts "shall [help us] receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me." (v. 8).  I have been so blessed to have a knowledge of the Savior in my life, so I suppose the least I could do in return is to help share my happiness with those around me.  I guess a good way to start is to continue to learn about my Savior.  You can't teach what you don't know.
So, cheers.  And here's to a New Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment