Monday, January 14, 2013

Alma 30-32

Our first class of the semester was about Korihor in Alma 30.  At the beginning of the chapter, it says that they tried to keep the commandments and had continual peace in the land for several years. But in verse 6, trials came despite their righteousness.  Sometimes the Lord will send us problems and trials, even though we're already living righteously.  But I know that the Lord won't give us anything above what we can handle.  We don't always know why the trials come, and we may never will, but they do.  The Lord wants to strengthen us and help us to grow.  Although it's hard for me to think so during one, I am grateful for trials because they have taught me lessons that I needed to learn.  
We also talked about Alma 32, which is all about faith.  I really liked this lesson because I have been wanting to strengthen my testimony, especially now that I'm planning on going on a mission.  This chapter has helped me to understand exactly what I need to do.  Verse 27 was what I needed to hear.  It says, "But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words."  Having a desire to gain a testimony is the first step.  Then, you must act.  Say your prayers, really study your scriptures, go to church not to be entertained, but to learn and be spiritually uplifted.  Faith is a principle of action.  If you want to gain a testimony, it will take work on your part, but I know the Lord will reward you for your efforts.  You are His child and He loves you more than you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment