Monday, April 15, 2013

Seeking the Christ

Recently, there's been some things I've been a little discouraged about.  I just have no way of knowing if it'll work out the way I would like!  And I'm definitely a planner and I like having at least a 2 1/2 year plan or so.  That gives me a sense of security.  So having that uncertainty just plain bugs me...
But this week I've been learning the power and importance of hope.  "And again, my beloved brethren, I would speak concerning hope.  How is it that ye can attain unto faith, save ye shall have hope?  Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope; for without faith there cannot be any hope." (Moroni 7:40, 42).  Faith and hope must go hand in hand.  They build each other up.
But remember, "And again, behold I say unto you that he cannot have faith and hope, save he shall be meek, and lowly of heart."  (Moroni 7:43).  But that's often easier said than done, right?  I've noticed that the harder I try to be good and follow Christ, the more I realize how far I still have to go.
How do we become like Christ?  Well, I know that charity if the pure love of Christ.  So what's charity then?  "And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."  (Moroni 7:45).  For me, charity was a difficult concept to truly understand.  Now I want to connect two things for you.
Read the past scripture again, but replace the word "charity" with "Christ."
Isn't it amazing how much more powerful that is?  It's easier for me to wrap my simple mind around an abstract concept like charity when I can give it a form of embodiment.  Christ really did suffer long.  He was kind to all, even to those who didn't return it.  He spent His time among the poorest people, and as He hung on the cross, He asked the Father to forgive the people responsible for His crucifixion.  He is the ultimate example for us to follow.
If you're anything like me, that will seem a little intimidating.  The Savior was perfect, but I am far from it.  "And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written..."  (Ether 12:41).  Remember, seek and ye shall find, ask and it will be given to you, knock and it will be opened to you (Matthew 7:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment