Monday, September 9, 2013

"Remember Who You Are"

Well folks, I know it's been a while (a very long while, actually) but I'm once again writing on this here blog of mine! This semester I'm taking a class here at BYU on the New Testament that focuses on the first four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
Now let's get down to business. This will seem random at first, but you must know that Disney's "The Lion King" is one of my favorite movies. If you haven't seen it, you can skip this paragraph entirely, because you won't know what I'm talking about. In the movie, there's a scene where Simba, the main lion, is questioning what he should be doing with his life. (You can watch this scene here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7fXfCZ4sB4). He is the heir to the throne, but he doesn't feel worthy to take it. He meets one of his father's old friends, a monkey named Rafiki. Although Simba knows his father is dead, Rafiki claims that he's still alive. Simba follows him and has a sort of vision of his father, Mufasa. Mufasa says that because Simba has forgotten who he is, he has in turn forgotten his father. He says he must remember who he is, not only as a king, but also as his son.
This demonstrates a principle about the gospel that I love, which we find in Moses 1. The book of Moses was received in a revelation given to Joseph Smith. It's contains what the book of Genesis from the Bible was supposed to have originally. Over time, parts of the Bible were lost for various reasons. So Moses is the fullness of the book of Genesis. Moses 1 is the prologue to the story of the creation.
Now, back to this principle I mentioned earlier. In Moses 1:1-3, it says that God appears to Moses face to face and identifies Himself. Then, verse 4: "And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease." Now, I've added italics for a reason. God identifies Moses not as a servant or inferior, but a son, which is such a personal and loving relationship. This in turn means that we are each a child of God. We are each a son or daughter of the Almighty. I think that is so incredible.
I want to make another related point with verse 4. As the saying goes, sons will usually turn out just like their fathers. So, if we are the children of God, shouldn't that mean that we have the ability to one day become like our Heavenly Father?
Yes. Yes, it does.
Just like Simba in "The Lion King," by remembering who our Father is and who we are, we can amount to such great things!
One last point. In verse 33, Heavenly Father says, "And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten."
Perhaps, by chance, you have heard of the Hubble telescope. It's a very high-powered telescope that can take high-resolution pictures of far off parts of space, including this picture here:



This is only one little corner of the universe, but each of those tiny spots of light is a different galaxy, each full of many different lands, each with people just like us. "And [Moses] beheld many lands; and each land was called earth, and there were inhabitants on the face thereof." (verse 29). There are other children of God out there! They look like us, feel the same emotions we do, have hopes and dreams like we do.
So I guess this brings two questions to my mind. If the worlds are really without end, how does God keep track of all of them? Verse 37 says, "And the Lord God spake unto Moses, saying: The heavens, they are many, and they cannot be numbered unto man; but they are numbered unto me, for they are mine." These are earths full of His children. He knows each one of them, including you. He loves each with a most perfect and pure love.
Second and final question. Out of all these innumerable worlds that are out there, why was I put on this specific earth? Well, Heavenly Father knew that this earth would be the most wicked. So he sent His most faithful and valiant children. (That's you). I think just knowing that Heavenly Father trusted me to come here and not give up is so incredible. He has faith in YOU! You can do it! Don't give up on your faith just yet.

"Remember who you are. You are my son/daughter... Remember."

No comments:

Post a Comment