Monday, November 11, 2013

The Reins of Jesus

I don't know about you, but I like knowing stuff.  It feels cool.  It gives me almost this sense of power.  Plus, I know that this crazy brain of mine is all I get to take with me at the end of my time here, so I might as well make it a good one.
As we've been studying the scriptures, I've gained so many new little nuggets of knowledge.  I never realized how much Atonement symbolism is in the New Testament.  Of course I knew that the Atonement was the most important part of it, but I never realized just how many places you could find it, whether explicit or discreet.
For example, the triumphal entry in Matt 21.  I never knew this story very well, for some reason, but now it holds beautiful symbolism for me.  Jesus rides into Jerusalem on an unbroken donkey.  First of all, a donkey is the most lowly creature.  Second, because this donkey was a colt, it was unbroken.  It was a miracle that that donkey didn't get spooked and start bucking once he was surrounded by people shouting, throwing clothes in front of him, and waving palm fronds in his face.  This is no coincidence, that's for sure.  The Savior has taken the reins, and He will steer the donkey where it needs to go.
So it is with us.  If we can let the Savior take the reins in our lives, He will take us in the right direction.  He will keep us on the path that we need to be on, helping us get through our daily struggles.  This is something I have a bit of a hard time with.  I'm very independent.  I can do lots of things by myself, and I really like it that way.  I like knowing that I can manage my own life.  However, as I've approached the doorstep of this period of big decisions, it's more crucial now than ever to really trust the Savior.  This has been tough for me, and I need to have greater faith that I won't be led astray.  I certainly can't do this alone, no matter how hard I try.  Let's work on this together, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment